Like any other investment, buying used bucket trucks for personal or company use should be done carefully to avoid big mistakes and future regrets. Being wise in choosing the right vehicle takes a lot of time and consideration, which includes researching any truck being considered for purchase. One should avoid being enticed by outward appearances since there are many good-looking trucks that may not be in great working condition.
Following are some of the biggest mistakes that could potentially be made when purchasing used bucket trucks.
- Lack of Preparation – There are many types of used bucket trucks on the market. Before searching for a particular model, be sure to identify the kind of equipment that is needed for the specific jobs to be done. This includes things such as the weight capacity, lifting height, and other additional features.
- Impulse Buying – Many purchasers want to buy the very first model truck that they see. Even though a buyer may have just started searching for a vehicle, the tendency is to look at the appearance-pleasing models first. It is important not to make an impulse purchase; it is better to take some time to carefully look at many different vehicles and gather information about each one. Finding the best one that fits the budget and needs of the company should be the top priority for any potential buyer.
To avoid making costly mistakes in the purchasing process, the following suggestions are listed:
- Search Online – It is important to look at used bucket trucks online. Get on the internet and find specialty dealers within the area. Although there may be no vehicles listed on a dealer’s website at that time, they are still a good lead for tracking down the best places to find such trucks. If prices are listed on their website, use those prices as a guideline for future reference when a purchase is possible.
- Additional Research – Make an effort to obtain additional knowledge about these trucks before deciding on one. Learn about its features and reliability on the internet by researching specific vehicle information. By becoming familiar with bucket trucks as a whole, a buyer will have a larger knowledge base about the equipment. Becoming more familiar with the online community of previously owned bucket trucks can be very helpful when the time comes to make a purchase.
- Gather Facts – Be aware of the use of persuasive words or pictures; don’t allow such words or pictures to be a determining factor when purchasing this equipment. If there are any vehicle history reports, get a copy of them as this will help to learn whether the vehicle has been in any past accidents.
- Thorough Inspection – There should be a thorough test drive and inspection to make sure that the equipment is in good working condition. This may take some time but it is well worth the extra effort. A mechanic would be invaluable, so do not hesitate to bring one along for a pre-purchase inspection. A buyer will greatly benefit from the mechanic’s ability to check the vehicle for any leaks, rust or other signs of damage and can provide a report to the buyer after testing the equipment so that any mechanical issues are clear.
- Use Reliable Dealer– When purchasing via the internet, choose a dealer in these vehicles who has been in this business a long time as they are likely very knowledgeable and experienced in this field. Such a dealer does all the legwork for a client and carries a warranty on sold vehicles to back up their trustworthiness.
By using extra effort and following the helpful tips above, there is a good chance that a buyer will find many used bucket trucks that will fit a company’s needs. Being informed and prepared about buying used bucket trucks will be very helpful in avoiding the biggest mistakes first time buyers are liable to make!